Links - May 7, 2016
- Who Was Ramanujan? Stephen Wolfram - Backchannel
Life is strange. One letter (email?) could really change yours. Send it today.
- What Military Jargon Says About Military Service Matti Friedman - The Atlantic
- Dynamic Typing > Static Typing? Greggman
It is weird when you can’t credit an author because their work doesn’t list their name. </br> As a side note, tweeting this got me into a strange twitter fight.
- Stuck in the Middle With You Mark Suster - Both Sides of the Table
Good analysis of why the US can’t play the isolation game going forward. Even if you don’t care about politics, and you should, it is worth your time just for the amazing list of books that Suster recommends.
- Eye Doctors Want To Shut Down This Online Vision Exam Startup Stephanie M. Lee - BuzzFeed News
While I understand the point of regulation, Opternative delivers exactly what it advertises: refractive eye exams. The incumbents are just using regulation to push their interests and avoid getting pushed out of the market. But, obviously, I am biased. I used to work there.
- I’ve got a few questions for virtual reality filmmakers Lucas Matney - TechCrunch
Possibly my favorite opening paragraph in a TechCrunch article, ever.
- Brad DeLong pulpifies a Cochrane graph Noah Smith
Economic models can be bent to lie. Usually, not this blatantly, though.
- I tried to make my own tortillas from scratch the Mexican way in the US, and it was a disaster Ana Campoy - Quartz
This article is just a curiosity. The fact that Quartz opens with “Leer en español” was very unexpected.
Like what you see? Sign up below: