Links - April 26, 2016
- You can take the derivative of a regular expression?! Julia Evans
Even though I didn’t take a regex class, the similarities with my stochastic modeling class are stark. Now I want to learn more!
- I Have Valuable Information Cory Watson - One Mo' Gin
We can always be better, smarter, etc. Watson talks about why he shares what he learns: one step at a time, helping others along the way, understanding that there is always more than we can process.
- Understanding the Rich Tapestry of American Culture as Experienced Through Food Mark Suster - Both Sides of the Table
Last time Suster recommended a movie, Supermensch, I wasn’t sold, but watched anyway. It was awesome, and now I want to watch this one too. VCs should do more movie/book/etc reviews. After all, a deep understanding of culture can give you an edge to make better bets than others. I am sure it has helped Upfront Ventures get where they are.
- When to Rewrite from Scratch - Autopsy of a Failed Software Umer Mansoor - Code Ahoy
Building software is hard. Learn from others’ mistakes.
- Economics and Self-Awareness Paul Krugman - The New York Times
When reality contradicts your beliefs, most likely, you have to change your beliefs.
- O Reader! My Reader Silvia Killingsworth - The Awl
A little bit hyperbolic, I use Feedly and it works more than fine, but the internet definitely changed the day Google shut down Reader.
- Uncanny Valley Anna Wiener - N + 1
Long, but so worth it. As Paul Ford tweeted, this essay is “a great catalog of Silicon Valley self-deceptions.”